Add world-class SEO to your Hugo sites
Want your Hugo sites to have the correct SEO settings from the get-go?
If so, then you need this theme.
SEO is baked into the source code, way beyond standard-issue Hugo. You will not find this many SEO features in any other Hugo theme. For example:
- Custom SEO headlines and SEO descriptions: WordPress sites have plugins that do this, but we don’t want to use WordPress (oh, the security and speed issues!), we want to use Hugo. The MoonBooth SEO Theme for Hugo handles this for you, allowing you or your content person/team to write SEO headlines that can target multiple search terms (which can lead to more SEO traffic).
- Avoid wasting Google’s crawl budget: Did you know that no matter how big (or small) your site is, Google allocates you a “crawl budget”? This means that you don’t want to waste Google’s time by allowing it to crawl pages such as your “thank you for signing up to email updates” page or your 404 template—you want to save Google’s time for your important pages, such as your product pages or your articles. The MoonBooth SEO Theme for Hugo easily allows you to block Google from indexing any page you want, and then takes it a step further by automatically blocking these pages from your Google XML sitemap (to avoid triggering Google errors) and your RSS feed for good measure. I’ve got your back!
- Avoid unnecessary HTTP requests. Yes, you need this even with HTTP/2: The background here is that from May this year (2021), Google will increase the importance of page speed when ranking web pages. This means, in part, that you want to avoid unnecessary HTTP requests. The MoonBooth SEO Theme for Hugo lets you customise CSS styles without adding an extra style sheet (so there will only be one HTTP request for CSS). But hey, what about HTTP/2, you ask? Well, Google has only just started using HTTP/2 for “select sites”, so it may be a while until they use it for your site. Therefore, it’s still best to minimise HTTP requests when it comes to SEO. Other themes add an extra style sheet when you make CSS changes, but the MoonBooth SEO Theme for Hugo only ever publishes one
Future-proof CSS customisation in a single style sheet
I’ve designed the MoonBooth SEO Theme for Hugo so that you can easily:
- change theme colours
- overwrite other theme styles
- add your own custom styles
Your style changes will live in your own repo, and will not be overwritten even if you pull theme updates from GitHub (assuming you set it up the way I’ve outlined in the documentation).
Additionally, your style changes will appear in the theme stylesheet. Nobody wants an extra stylesheet (or more specifically, an extra HTTP request) for a couple of CSS tweaks. When you customise the MoonBooth SEO Theme for Hugo, there will only ever be one style sheet for the browser to download.
Who made this?
My name is Ron Erdos and I run this site (and coded the theme). I’m an SEO professional with 13 years experience running or leading SEO for ASX-listed (Australian stock market listed) companies. I’ve also built Hugo websites since 2017. I’d like to think the theme represents a good intersection of these two skill sets.
Can I see an example of the theme in action?
Sure! This site (moonbooth.com) uses the theme, as does its sister site, Julia School, where I publish Julia language tutorials. The Julia School GitHub repo is public, if you want to see how I’ve implemented everything on this page.
Can haz documentation?
Of course—here’s the documentation for the MoonBooth SEO Theme for Hugo.
Can you help me with the theme?
I’d be more than happy to help you implement the theme—please contact me at ron dot erdos at this domain.
Will there be updates?
Yes! Updates are free until 1 March 2024.
Can I use this on more than one website?
Yes! You can use this theme on as many of your websites as you wish, including unlimited client websites.